I upgraded my Macbook’s hard drive to 500GB and, with the help of my Time Machine back-up, I was able to get it up to speed in just a few hours. It was such a wonderful experience with the Mac’s step by step process that I can’t imagine doing it any other way.
All I did was
(1) Installed the new Seagate hard drive
(2) Inserted my Snow Leopard installer DVD
(3) Formatted the new HD to Mac Journaled
(4) Clicked on Restore Using Time Machine
(5) inserted the Time Machine external HD
(6) left it to install what needs to be installed