Our Baguio Trip

We just came back from our overnight Baguio extravaganza yesterday. It was short but sweet. As I said in my previous post, the plan was originally just the two of us but it’s nice that Charo’s parents (my in-laws) joined us in our little road trip, too.

We left at around 4:30 in the morning Saturday with me behind the wheel, Charo at my side and her parents at the back. I would usually drive way slower than usual just for them, but if I do that I would fall asleep. So I did my usual fast-but-sure driving. We’re traveling at around 100 to 120 kph. I know they’re looking at the speedometer from the back. Hehehehe!

Going there, we had two stopovers at the usual stopover places – Hacienda Luisita in Tarlac and the Shell Station in Rosario, La Union. Breakfast was on the road courtesy of our take-out from the crowded Jollibee Luisita. Next was a bathroom break before we went uphill at Shell Rosario Junction.

We arrived in Baguio at around 9:30 in the morning and headed straight to our hotel – El Cielito Inn at North Drive near SM City Baguio. The room was OK but I still like our cheaper rooms at Hotel Veniz. Oh well, at least they have wi-fi, or so we were lead to believe.

If it was just Charo and I, we would just hit the sack to get some more z’s and wake up mid-afternoon for some late lunch and dessert. But with her parents with us, we decided to do all the tourist stuff on the same day so we wouldn’t have to worry about it the following day.

After a short nap, we left the hotel at 10:30 in the morning and headed to Camp John Hay’s filling station for our dose of Strawberries & Ice Cream’s strawberry juice. A glass costs P130 – pricey even for Manila standards, but one sip and you know it’s all worth it.

Since the Figaro outlet here is selling Baguio Country Club baked goods, we bought four loaves of Banana Bread, too. No sense in waiting for Sunday and risk it running out of stock.

Next is lunch at Little John’s. I was supposed to get a crabstick hoagie but they don’t have it so I ended up with their taco salad and tomato spaghetti. Come to think about it, they don’t have a lot of what’s in their menu. My in-laws had to choose several times from the list before they stumbled on something that their kitchen has.

After Little John, we went around the area and got my niece a nice dress in one of the shops. In Nike, I saw a pair of shoes that I like but at P4,995, I’m not getting it.

Our next stop was at Mines View Park. Actually, we didn’t even go to the view deck itself. I just figured that it’s better to do the pasalubong shopping here than in the Baguio market because of the parking. It was here where we bought walis, blankets, chocoflakes, cornick and bands. Charo dad made me laugh when I saw him carrying a wooden backscratcher. Hehehehe!

After Mines View, we went to the Good Sheperd Sisters for the usual Ube Jam, Strawberry Jams and other goodies. While they were in line, I treated myself to some of their Strawberry Juice mixed with Calamansi for only P15 a cup. It was nice, refreshing and cheap!

When everything was loaded to the CR-V, we drove to St. Joseph’s to check for their afternoon mass schedule. We figured that since we’re doing everything today, might as well hear mass so we won’t have to worry about that the following day.

It was back to the hotel after that, where we finally had time to fix our stuff and nap.

My cellphone’s alarm clock went up, telling me that it’s already 3:30 in the afternoon. As much as I’d love staying in bed, I got up and freshened up for the mass. I woke Charo up at 4:00 for her turn to fix herself.

We were at St. Joseph at 4:45 in the afternoon. I got a nice parking spot near the exit so it won’t be hard for us going through the chaos when the service is over.

The mass finished at 6:00 in the evening, just in time for dinner. We were choosing between Forest House and Oh Mai Khan. The latter won and we ended up at the mongolian barbecue place near the City Hall.

My mix wasn’t as grand as my usual Sweet Inspiration’s-OJ’s concoction but I was happy busog nonetheless. I had two and a half bowls. Yum yum. I was asking her parents if they want to go out for coffee or dessert afterwards, but they were too full already.

After getting some bottled water from the nearby Mom & Pop store, it was back to the hotel for all of us. I bought a wifi card from the front desk and got ready to watch Stage 19 live on Versus.

When I turned on our laptop and launched the browser, we discovered something – their internet is not working. Fucking shit. After all that planning and changing of hotels for the sake of wifi, we get this. I was very disappointed. And what’s more disappointing is the indifference of their staff in solving the problem. When I asked them when the problem will be fixed, they didn’t have any clear answer. “Baka bukas, sir,” answered the lady. Well, that’s not good enough for me. Frustrated, I returned the card and asked for a refund, which they did in an instant.

With no Tour de France to watch, we were stuck with our good old updates via wap. Pathetic, I know, but it was better than nothing.

We watched a DVD on the laptop to pass time. I forgot the title but it’s about Heather Graham falling in love with her brother’s wife. Personally I think it’s a big bore but I think April will like it.

When the movie was over, I decided to try out the browser. Lo and behold, it’s working! I was able to save the login details the first time I tried it and so when I pressed the enter button, it worked. I loaded my TVU player at once and watched the final thirty minutes of the tour – which is where all the action was! Thank God!

In the end, we finally got to watch the 19th stage of the Tour live on Versus through the internet in Baguio, which is the reason why we were there in the first place. Well, more or less. Hehehehe!

We woke up late the following day, but it’s OK as I gave the car keys to Charo’s parents so they can do their own thing.

We availed of the free breakfast at around 10:00 in morning and checked out at 11:30. I was thinking of not doing it, but in the end my conscience got to me so i paid for the wifi card.

We went back to Camp John Hay’s Filling Station for lunch before the long drive back home. Except for those pesky tricycles on the highway, the drive was pretty smooth. We had one stop over at Luisita to do some stretching (and merienda) at Starbucks.

We were home at 6:00 in the evening. Because there were no maids, we ordered from Pancake house and had it delivered to the house. Dinner was in bed in front of the computer as we watch Alberto Contador win the 2007 Tour de France.

It was a tiring two-day thing but it was a hoot. Now I’m looking forward to our four-day trip to Singapore this coming Saturday.


What do you think? Please leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: